The Stepping Up pathway spans key stages 2 to 4 and is designed for our learners who have severe learning difficulties.
Pupils with severe learning difficulties learn through best through play, exploration, practical activities, opportunities to revisit and retrieve knowledge and skills, and community involvement.
The Stepping Up curriculum enables pupils to:
- Develop communication skills using a total communication approach (speech, gesture, sign or symbol) so that they can interact with other people, make choices, follow instructions and explanations and access the key concepts needed for learning.
- Establish and accumulate key knowledge and skills in all subjects.
- Learn to co-operate with other people, to build positive relationships and to take responsibility for themselves.
- Learn the skills which will help them be more independent in adult life.
- Learn about the world around them and the wider community.